Monday, October 22, 2007

Welcome Home Bokke

I've been up since early watching the build up to the welcoming home of the BOKKE. Just when I started getting bored of waiting, a news broadcast was interrupted to show them coming through the gates of OR Tambo. It made me smirk thinking of all the movies that rip off the American TV channels when they announce "We interrupt your regular programming to bring you this special news broadcast". Anyway, the crowds erupted with shouts and cheers welcoming their heros home. The BOKKE kept their pose, but I think I would have gotten more emotional that they did from (1) winning the Ellis and (2) seeing how much they have impacted the fans that have been waiting for them at the airport since 2am.

My enjoyment turned sour when the minister was interviewed in Cape Town and said that the team did not reflect South African demographics, and that the black kids did not have the same resources as the white kids. I think that he should rather focus on fixing that than wanting to slice and dice the team to fit demographics.

ALLOW US TO BUILD ON OR SUCCESS STOFILE! DON'T KILL THE SPORT NOW!

Anyway, I'm going to watch the press conference now.

No comments: